Croque Monsieur [RECIPE]
Good Afternoon Friends!
Have you ever had a moment where you just needed a certain food? The other day I needed a grilled cheese sandwich. A ham and cheese grilled sandwich to be exact. Back when I was 18, I went to France with my high school to study over the summer. There, in Paris, I basked in upscale fashion, breathtaking architecture, and the freshest bread I had ever tasted. For (then) 39 Francs, I purchased a baguette with a smear of butter, thick slices of ham, and wedges of cheese. Walking down the street eating my baguette sandwich I felt on cloud nine.
This croque monsieur was made with gooey mozzarella instead of the traditional Gruyere. But by using very fresh mozzarella, it melted into that gooey, warm consistency that makes grilled cheese totally worthwhile. I chose thick slices of ham to compliment the cheese and chose Shepherd’s bread as a hearty, but soft bread to fry. It was divine. I hope the next time you get a “hankering” (as we say in the South) or a craving for grilled cheese that you give this one a try. I promise you it’s worth it! Have a wonderful rest of the day, stay tuned for more delicious recipes, and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Serves: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices of thick shepherd’s bread
- 3 slices high-quality ham
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet over medium heat, smear butter on both sides of the bread and lay butter-side down to fry.
- Place cheese on one side and ham on the other piece of bread.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes before carefully checking to ensure that the bread is golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Once the bread is toasted golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt, flip the cheese side onto the ham side to build your sandwich. Gently press down with your spatula and flip the sandwich over in the pan. Gently press down again and fry for 1 additional minute.
- Serve hot and enjoy! You’ve earned it! 🙂